first tries and second thoughts.

June 25, 2009

the first time doing something is always a little rough. or sometimes a lot rough. here are the results of my first attempt at needle-felting. the fuzzy purple turd has been turned into a bird! affectionately known as the bird turd. 



now for something a little more embarrassing. this may very well result in the end of my toy sales on etsy. please be kind.


this is henri. he's the very first felt toy i made, and no, i was not six when i made him. henri is what happens when you ignore planning, or thinking ahead, or knowing what you are doing and just jump in with both feet and figure it out as you go along. as a result, he looks more like a moldy pierogi with tumors than a craptacular mouse.

now i'm preemptively embarrassed and i haven't even hit the "publish post" button yet. oh my.

4 notes:

  1. I've done this jumping in with both feet a lot of times and I've learned a lot through it. And yes, I've also had my fare share of embarrassment.... weird lumpy thing

    Please keep up making your cool plush and everything. I like them a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweetheart---the purple bird is adorable. I really like him. I gave up with felting, I lost patience. Yours is super sweet.
    The mouse--look how far you've come! You should be proud. I'm proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw the second photo of the mouse, I was thinking it looked like a pierogi. Then I lol'd when you called it a "moldy pierogi with tumors". Glad I'm not the only one who thought so. The purple turd bird turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. just the incentive i need to spend my week of vacation sewing strange new items! (i'm particularly excited about combining needle-felted bits with my normal felt style.)
    oh, that and setting up a summer studio in the basement... i'd be mummified if i continued to work in the attic!

    ReplyDelete