inspiration and envelopes.

August 24, 2009





because i can't say it any better myself, i quote:
"recycled from discarded bills, forgotten letters, and scraps of other people's lives, these limited edition, hand-bound notebooks are made from inverted envelopes."


from company. who has unfortunately (and wisely) chosen to distribute these wonderful books in select stores in, of course, london. i say wisely only because i'd be unable to resist snapping each and every one up. i have paper prickles up and down my spine.

3 notes:

  1. Really a neat idea. I searched, and if you want to make something similar yourself....
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2338201_make-altered-book-from-junk.html
    It's not quite the same, but the cool part about using a board book base is that the pages would be nice and stiff for writing on. I thought it would be a fun and quick project. I may snatch up a few board books this Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i suspect a book made from my bill envelopes would depress me.
    but perhaps i could find something else interesting. i know someone who makes their very own paper...

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know, I still haven't made any more since the first time. AND my mom and dad even bought me a new blender. I just haven't got around to it yet.
    I did search and search and search today and finally found a website that had detailed enough directions for how to make a sew a book using coptic bookbinding. It looks a bit sloppy because I used discarded calligraphy papers from school last year and I didn't measure or anything. But I think I figured out how to sew it all up. And Nibby enjoyed watching me pull the thread in and out.
    If you're interested, here's the link
    http://www.doe.in.gov/olr/grantprojects/books/Coptic%20Book.htm
    And here's what made me want to do it
    http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=28960982

    ReplyDelete